Ethnographies of uncertainty in Africa
Ethnographies of uncertainty in Africa / [edited by] Elizabeth Cooper (assistant professor, Simon Fraser University, Canada), David Pratten (associate professor, Oxford University, UK).
|Other authors:||Cooper, Elizabeth, 1976-Pratten, David.|
Table of Contents:
- 1. Ethnographies of Uncertainty in Africa : An Introduction / Elizabeth Cooper and David Pratten
- PART I. SOCIAL CONTINGENCIES : BETWEEN SUSPICION AND THE SUBJUNCTIVE
- 2. Contingency : Interpersonal and Historical Dependencies in HIV Care / Susan Reynolds Whyte and Godfrey Etyang Siu
- 3. Charity and Chance : The Manufacture of Uncertainty and Mistrust Through Child Sponsorship in Kenya / Elizabeth Cooper
- 4. The Quest for Trust in the Face of Uncertainty : Managing Pregnancy Outcomes in Zanzibar / Nadine Beckmann
- 5. Food Security, Conjugal Conflict, and Uncertainty in "Bangladesh," Mombasa, Kenya / Adam Gilbertson
- PART II. FUTURE VISIONS
- 6. Social Invisibility and Political Opacity : On Perceptiveness and Apprehension in Bissau / Henrik Vigh
- 7. Rhythms of Uncertainty and the Pleasures of Anticipation / Julie Soleil Archambault
- 8. Embracing Uncertainty : Young People on the Move in Addis Ababa's Inner City / Marco Di Nunzio
- 9. "We Wait for Miracles" : Ideas of Hope and Future Among Clandestine Burundian Refugees in Nairobi / Simon Turner.