African and American : West Africans in post-civil rights America
African and American : West Africans in post-civil rights America / Marilyn Halter and Violet Showers Johnson.
|Main author:||Halter, Marilyn.|
|Other authors:||Johnson, Violet Showers.|
Table of Contents:
- Preface: griots from different shores
- Introduction: the newest African Americans?
- West Africa and West Africans: imagined communities in Africa and the diaspora
- Occupational detour: new paths to making a living
- Capturing a niche: the West African enclave economy
- Transnational ties/translocal connections: traversing nations, cities, and cultures
- More than black: resistance and rapprochement
- Young, gifted, and west african: transnational migrants growing up in America
- Conclusion: further into the twenty-first century.