Islam and the veil : theoretical and regional contexts
Islam and the veil : theoretical and regional contexts / edited by Theodore Gabriel and Rabiha Hannan.
|Other authors:||Gabriel, Theodore P. C.Hannan, Rabiha.|
Table of Contents:
- Theoretical contexts
- Respect in a plural society / Marcus Braybrooke
- Reflections on sartorial injunctions in Islam / Theodore Gabriel
- Unveiling orientalism in reverse / Alison Scott-Baumann
- Mawdudi, purdah and the status of women in Islam / Roy Jackson
- Female seclusion and the veil: two issues in political and social discourse. the reforms of Sultan Muhammad shah (b.1877-1957), 48th imam of the Nizari Ismaʻilis / Simonetta Calderini. Examining the scriptural texts: The veil? between tradition and reason, culture and context / Usama Hasan
- An exploration of the debates pertaining to head covering and face veiling of women in the British Muslim context / Rabiha Hannan
- Norms of gender interaction / Javaid Ghamidi
- Hijab, a symbol of modesty or seclusion? / Khola Hassan. Human rights and freedom of expression
- Marginalisation or an opportunity for dialogue?; exploring the hijab as a discursive symbol of the identity of young Muslim women / Sariya Contractor
- The Islamic veil: a focal point for social and political / Malika Hamidi. Debate: Muslim women, the veil and activism / Rajnaara C. Akhtar
- Hijab and belonging-Canadian Muslim women / Katherine Bullock.