Sounding cities : auditory transformations in Berlin, Chicago, and Kolkata
Sounding cities : auditory transformations in Berlin, Chicago, and Kolkata / edited by Sebastian Klotz, Philip V. Bohlman, Lars-Christian Koch.
|Other authors:||Klotz, Sebastian, (Editor)Bohlman, Philip V., 1952- (Editor)Koch, Lars-Christian, (Editor)|
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: Music and urban transformation / Sebastian Klotz
- Photo essay: The MG Road wedding bands
- Puja, paradox, and passage on a Kolkata street / Abhishek Adhikary and Philip V. Bohlman
- I, The musical metropolis: Contemplating urban culture in ethnomusicology : a personal perspective / Bruno Nettl. The culture of the metropolis / Rolf Lindner. "Thank you for listening kindly" : musical agency in trans-metropolitan spaces / Sebastian Klotz
- II, Topographies of the neighborhood: The rise and fall of Bar25 : an excursion into Berlin's techno scene / Sonja Rippert. Metal Pally : an informal inquiry into the unique heavy metal music scene of Kolkata / Patrick Sanjiv Lal Ghose
- III, Interventions and the experience of urban space: Kolkata monodosis : five takes on urban intervention research / Christopher Dell. Parallel cities in your ears : transformations of urban experience in sound walks / Patrick Primavesi
- IV, Trajectories beyond the global city: Dynamic diasporas : "The song of Zion" in South Asia / Philip V. Bohlman. String instruments as urban icons and rural products / Lars-Christian Koch. Performing Assam in urban spaces : Bihu on the city stage / Rehanna Kheshgi. Making Hindustani music work : avenues of friction and empathetic musicality / Kaley Mason
- Photo essay: Soundscapes and streetscapes
- Devon Avenue, Chicago / Philip V. Bohlman and Lars-Christian Koch
- Afterword: The study of urban music from trans-cultural perspective / Sebastian Klotz.