Empire and environment in the making of Manchuria
Empire and environment in the making of Manchuria / edited by Norman Smith.
|Main author:||Smith, Norman (Associate Professor), (Author, Editor)|
|Other authors:||Lary, Diana.|
Table of Contents:
- Manchuria : history and environment / Diana Lary
- Rival empires on the hunt for Sable and people in seventeenth-century Manchuria / David A. Bello
- Inclement weather and human error : regular irregularities in the Manchurian tribute system during the Qing Dynasty / Loretta E. Kim
- Producing full-fat controversy : the politicization of dairy production in post-colonial north Manchuria, 1924-30 / Blaine Chiasson
- "Hibernate no more!" : winter, health, and the great outdoors / Norman Smith
- Constructing a rural utopia : propaganda images of Japanese settlers in Northern Manchuria, 1936-43 / Annika A. Culver
- The garden of grand vision : slums, deviance, and control in Manchukuo, 1940-41 / Kathryn Meyer
- Salvaging memories : former Japanese colonists in Manchuria and the Shimoina project, 2001-12 / Ronald Suleski
- Exile to Manchuria : stories in the Qing and the PRC / Wang Ning
- "War against the earth" : military farming in communist Manchuria, 1949-75 / Sun Xiaoping.