Table of Contents:
- Introduction: modernity, fashion and Japan : Modernity ; Global fashions and national cultures
- Japanese clothes: events and tendencies : Sartorial modernity ; Nakedness and covering it ; Decency ; Foundational choices: Yōga and Nihonga ; 'Westernization' and Japanese fashion ; Consumption
- Japanese menswear: masculinity and sartorial statecraft : Uniforms and the state ; Suits: modern and classic masculinity ; The suit in Europe and America ; Embourgeoisement and civilized centre ; The Japanese suit ; The Rokumeikan
- Japanese womenswear: femininity and modernity : Taishō decadence and the Moga ; Sportswear, swimwear and movement ; Cosmetics and substance ; Hairstyles: the first experiments ; Kimono reform and traditional identity ; Time
- Conclusions: a theory of costume for Japanese modernity : the economics of aesthetics ; The recurring problems of fashion ; Functional explanations ; Meaning and identity in fashion ; The struggle for status in fashion ; The economics of fashion ; Fashion as communication ; Dynamic theories of fashion ; Diffusion in fashion ; Cyclic fashion ; Erotics in fashion ; The Zeitgeist in fashion ; Fashion as aesthetics.