Planting empire, cultivating subjects : British Malaya, 1786-1941
Planting empire, cultivating subjects : British Malaya, 1786-1941 / Lynn Hollen Lees, University of Pennsylvania.
|Main author:||Lees, Lynn Hollen, (Author)|
Table of Contents:
- The birth of plantation colonialism
- Body politics in a plural society
- New towns on the Malayan frontier
- Urban civil society
- Rubber reconstructs Malaya
- Cosmopolitan modernity
- Managing Malayan towns
- Multiple allegiances in a cosmopolitan colony
- Epilogue: representing empire, remembering colonial rule.