Museums : a history
|Restrictions on access to electronic version: access available to SOAS staff and students only, using SOAS id and password.|
|Connect to electronic book via dawsonera.|
Museums : a history / John E. Simmons.
|Main author:||Simmons, John E.|
Connect to electronic book via dawsonera.
Table of Contents:
- What is a collection? what is a museum?
- Hoards and tombs
- collections in the ancient world (to 700 BCE)
- The temple of the muses
- the conjunction of objects and knowledge (classical antiquity, 700 BCE to CE 400)
- The power of objects
- medieval collections (400 to 1400)
- Of cabinets and kings
- Renaissance collections (1400 to 1600)
- The museum enlightened
- 1600 to 1800
- Emergence of the modern museum
- 1800 to 1900
- Museums in a world gone awry
- 1900 to 1970
- Learning to read objects (again)
- the post-postmodern museum.