Britain, France and the decolonization of Africa : future imperfect?
Britain, France and the decolonization of Africa : future imperfect? / edited by Andrew W.M. Smith and Chris Jeppensen.
|Other authors:||Smith, Andrew W. M., 1986- (Editor)Jeppesen, Chris, (Editor)|
Table of Contents:
- Introduction : development, contingency and entanglement : decolonization in the conditional / Andrew W.M. Smith and Chris Jeppesen
- Nation, state and agency : evolving historiographies of African decolonization / Michael Collins
- 'The winds of change are blowing economically' : the Labour Party and British overseas development, 1940s-1960s / Charlotte Lydia Riley
- 'Oil will set us free' : the hydrocarbon industry and the Algerian decolonization process / Marta Musso
- Future imperfect : colonial futures, contingencies and the end of French empire / Andrew W.M. Smith
- The dynamics of anti-apartheid : international solidarity, human rights and decolonization / Robert Skinner
- 'A worthwhile career for a man who is not entirely self-seeking' : service, duty and the Colonial Service during decolonization / Chris Jeppesen
- Protecting empire from without : francophone African migrant workers, British West Africa and French efforts to maintain power in Africa, 1945-1960 / Joanna Warson
- Afterword : Achilles and the tortoise : the tortoise's view of late colonialism and decolonization / Martin Shipway.